Reasons To Opt For Retainers
Retainers are a great choice for many people, as they provide a more secure alternative to traditional braces. Not only do Greenwich retainers help keep your teeth in the desired position after braces, but they also help maintain your new smile over time.
When you visit your dentist for a consultation, they may recommend a retainer to help align your teeth. The dentist can take an impression of your mouth, which will be used to create a custom-fit mold around your teeth. This will ensure that the retainer fits well and is comfortable when you wear it.
Here is why you should consider opting for retainers:
Retainers can help keep your teeth in the same position after braces
When your teeth are in the same position even after bracing, it helps maintain good oral health. It also helps avoid misalignment of the teeth, which can lead to difficulties in eating and speaking. A retainer fitting is relatively straightforward and involves the dentist taking an impression of your mouth.
Retainers help to maintain your new smile over time
Braces can create perfectly aligned teeth, but if you don’t use a retainer after removing them, the teeth may eventually move back out of alignment. Wearing a retainer keeps your teeth from shifting, helping to maintain your new smile.
Retainers can help those with difficulty brushing or flossing
Retainers are also beneficial for people who may have problems with brushing and flossing. This is because the retainer encases the teeth, which helps to keep them clean and free from plaque and bacteria.
Retainers help to reduce teeth grinding
Teeth grinding or bruxism can cause damage to the teeth over time. Wearing a retainer helps to prevent this by providing a barrier between the upper and lower teeth. This helps to reduce any pressure that may be caused by teeth grinding.
Retainers are made for your unique mouth
When you get a retainer from your dentist, it will be custom-made just for your mouth. This ensures that it fits comfortably and securely. It also allows you to get the best results from your treatment.
Retainer aftercare helps to ensure that your retainer lasts and works as it should. Your dentist will be able to provide you with advice on how to look after your retainer so that it can continue to protect your teeth and maintain your new smile. Some of the advice includes:
- Clean your retainer every day: You should clean your retainer by brushing it with a toothbrush and dental cleaner.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods: Do not eat hard or sticky foods when wearing your retainer, as this can cause damage to the retainer itself.
- Don’t leave your retainer in hot water: Leaving it in hot water can cause it to become deformed or warped.
- Wear your retainer as directed: Your dentist will provide instructions on how often and for how long to wear your retainer.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Even after having braces and wearing a retainer, you should still visit your dentist for regular checkups.
If you’re considering getting a retainer, visit your dentist at Greenwich Dentistry.